Open Wheel Modified
2013_OPEN_WHEEL_MODIFIEDS updated 3-20-13
Click the red link above for a printable version of the 2013 Open Wheel Modified Rules
2013 OPEN WHEEL MODIFIEDS
This is a protest division.
A. MINIMUM WEIGHT
East Bay Rule Motors 2500 lbs. with an eight (8) inch spoiler.
GM 602 Crate Motors –2300 lbs. with a ten(10) inch spoiler.
GM 604 Crate Motors –2350 lbs. with a ten(10) inch spoiler.
AFTER RACE WITH DRIVER – NO TOLERANCE
Engines must be based on American Factory Design. Must be naturally aspirated (carbureted). Steel Blocks & Heads Only. Maximum cubic inch is 362. No titanium or exotic materials. Must have operating self starter.
GM Crate Motor 602 (#88958602) and GM Crate Motor 604 (#88958604) are approved for competition. Both motors can run a 4bbl. carburetor.
ALL GM CRATE MOTORS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE FACTORY SEALS OR EAST BAY RACEWAY PARK APPROVED RE-BUILD SEALS.
The head claim is not allowed on these crate motors, however, a complete engine claim of $3,500 on GM 602’s and $5,500 on the GM 604 motorwill be allowed. All engine claims must be made with proper claim form and required cash given to main flagman on front straight immediately following conclusion of event. If driver goes out turn one gate, there will be no claim allowed. Driver will not be allowed to receive cash from anyone else on front straight.
1. Minimum 48 lbs. Balancing okay.
2. No cutting of counter weights.
3. No knife-edge cranks
1. Any steel rod-polished steel okay
2. No titanium, aluminum or other billet rods
The FORD Crate motor, part #M-6007-D347SR is approved for competition in the Open Wheel Modified class. The engine must be as supplied
by Ford Motor Company or McGunegil Performance Engines as for all components and specs.
The heads, part #M-6049-Z304DA must have 2.02″ intake and 1.60″ exhaust valves. NO PORTING OR ANY POLISHING ALLOWED.
The only intake allowed is the Edelbrock Victor Jr., part #M-9424-D302
The only camshaft allowed is hydraulic roller camshaft, part #M-6250-F303. 1.65 ratio rockers ONLY.
The only carburetors allowed on this engine are the Holley 4412(passing track gauges) or the Holley #0-808541-1, 4150 Series, 650HP.
All carburetors must pass East Bay Raceway Park tech gauges.
The minimum weight for any car with this engine is 2425 lbs. after completion of the event.
The maximum spoiler for any car with this engine is ten (10) inches.
The head claim rule in this class is not allowed on this engine, however, there is a complete engine claim of $7,700.00.
East Bay Raceway Park reserves the right to alter or change these rules at any time with proper written notification to keep a level playing field for all competitors.
1. Edelbrock Performer or Performer RPM intake mandatory
2. Steel heads only. No porting, polishing, or gasket matching. Flat top pistons only.
Valves – Ford 2.02 x 1.654
Chevy 1.94 x 1.50
Mopar 2.02 x 1.625
3. HEAD CLAIM – $1,750 will be strictly enforced. Claim has to be done by the driver on front straight immediately after feature and only by cars finishing on lead lap. Limit to number of claims by driver may be imposed. Money to be taken directly to flagman, he will alert car being claimed, car will then be impounded and pushed to tech. If you leave the racing surface and exit out turn 1 gate, there will be no claim allowed. The claim shall consist of heads, valves, valve springs, keepers and rocker studs. Does not include rocker arms or stud girdles.
4. Angle Milling allowed.
5. No titanium valves
6. No aluminum heads
7. Roller rockers optional–stud girdle optional–screw-in studs optional.
8. Valve springs optional–okay to machine for bigger springs
9. Stock lifter size for motor used.
10. Ford must run stock valve spring diameter an push rod stain less steel valves optional–NO PORTING, POLISHING OR GASKET MATCHING ALLOWED
1. MANDATORY – Only Performer or Performer RPM Intake allowed – NO PORTING, POLISHING OR GASKET MATCHING ALLOWED
2. These Intakes are legal:
PERFORMER: FORD 351 W – 2181
FORD 351 C – 2665
MOPAR – 2176
CHEVROLET – 2101
CHEVROLET – 2104
CHEVROLET VORTEC – 2116
PERFORMER RPM: FORD 351W – 7181
FORD 351C – 2750
MOPAR – 7176
CHEVROLET – 7101
CHEVROLET VORTEC – 7116
3. Adapter Spacer – Maximum 1-1/2″ total + (2) .060 gaskets (1 on top and 1 under)
1. Must use (1) 2-barrell carburetor as follows:
Holley #4412 500 CFM + carburetor MUST PASS East Bay Raceway Park gauges.
2. MODIFICATION ALLOWED
1. Choke plate may be removed
2. Jets and power valve optional. Billet metering blocks allowed.
3. NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS TO INCREASE AIR FLOW
4. ONLY straight-type squirter modifications to the carburetor or any of its components, or substutions of other than Holley parts without prior written permission of East Bay Racway Park officials will cause the vehicle to be classified as illegal.
H. FUEL TANKS
1. 22-gallon maximum (32 gallons in existence will grandfathered in). NO ELECTRICAL FUEL PUMPS
2. FUEL – Petroleum Base ONLY (GAS)
3. Regular pump-type gas, CAM 2 Sunoco or equivalent
4. NO TRICK ADDITIVES – NO ALCOHOL, ETC.
1. OPTIONAL – NO MAGNETOS – Any single battery fired ignition system okay.
2. MUFFLERS MANDATORY! SCHOENFELD #112535 98 decibels measured at trackside
3. NO TRACTION CONTROL DEVICES OF ANY TYPE
J. CAM SHAFT
1. Any flat tappet CAM and lifters – NO MUSHROOM LIFTER OR ROLLER CAMS
2. Fords check with tech
3. Stock lifters size for motor used.
Factory production complete 1960 or new perimeter American rear-wheel drive passenger car frame only. NO sports car frames. Frames must extend back to behind drivers seat. Frame cannot be widened or narrowed. Front crossmember may be notched and boxed for radiator and /or steering clearance only. Minimum wheel base is 108 inches both sides. Maximum overall width (front or rear). Shall not exceed 78 inches from outside of tire to outside of tire. Outside of tires must be widest part of car. No part of car can be lower than four inches from ground except from crossmember and oil pan. Frames may only be cut at point no further forward than 36″ from center of rear-end housing. Factory or tubular manufactured lower a-frames OK. Both side a-frames must measure same from bushings to ball joint.
L. ROLL CAGE
Minimum 1.5 inch O.D. with a minimum thickness of .095 inch for main cage. Drivers head must not protrude outside cage with helmet on. Roll cage msut be securely supported and braced with minimum on crossbar in top halo. Foot protection bar required. Main cage no further forward than rear of engine. All bars forward of cage must be lower than hood.
Minimum of three driver side-door bars required, at least 1.5-inch O.D. and .083-inch wall thickness, as parallel with ground as possible, and perpendicular to driver. Must be welded to front and rear of roll cage. Passenger side must have at least one cross-door bar, horizontal, or angled, minimum 1-25-inch O.D. Driver’s side steel door plate, 18-gauge or .049-inch minimum thickness, must be securely welded to outside of door bars. Plate must cover area from top door bar to bottom door bar and from rear hop down-post to five inches in front of seat. Must be visible for inspection.
Must be same width, front to rear, and paralleled to frame. Engine compartment must remain open (no side panels). Hood must be enclosed at rear. Must have front and rear window posts. Driver and passenger side windows must have a minimum of twelve-inch opening, measured at center of window. Nose piece may have 1″ fins or each side for strength. Rear tail light panels are optional. No aerodynamic tunnels.
N. DRIVER COMPARTMENT
Must have a minimum of three windshield bars and full window screen (minimum 1″ x 2″). Minimum .125-inch aluminum, or .060-inch steel, complete floor pan required. Must go past back of seat. Driver must be completely sealed off from racetrack, drive line, engine, fuel cell, canisters and pumps. Oil coolers must not protrude above interior. No drive activated devices to adjust anything on car except brakes will be allowed (i.e. wheel base or weight jacking). No mirrors
One steel shock per wheel only. Two additional shocks allowed on rear suspension (one on top of rear end-one on torque arm).
No coil over shocks with small springs, air shocks, or remote reservoir shocks. Schrader valve shocks allowed.
SHOCK CLAIM RULE: All shocks on any car are claimable for $250 per shock.
This must be done by driver on front straight, immediately following completion of feature event.
Properly filled out claim form & $250 per shock must be given to main Flagman before leaving racing surface to go to tech. If driver leaves racing surface, there will be no claim allowed.
Only drivers finishing on the lead lapcan claim any shocks off of any car finishing ahead of them.
No claim allowed on any car finishing behind claiming driver.
Any driver refusing a legal claim will be disqualified and will not be allowed points or money for that event and driver or car will not be allowed to compete in the next 2 racing events.
Second offense for refusing a legal claim, driver or car will not be allowed to compete in next 6 racing events.
Coil over eliminators or coil over shocks with minimum 4.5″ spring allowed.
Steel only. One coil and /or leaf spring per wheel only. One additional spring allowed on rear suspension. Any coil spring must be at least 4.5 inches O.D. No torsion bars or air bags.
Q. REAR END/SUSPENSION
Rear end – steel or aluminum bird cages allowed. Steel tubes only. No aluminum tubes allowed. No sprint car style open tube rears. No aluminum trailing arms. No wide 5 HUBS. Minimum 4 1/2″ springs anywhere on suspension. No coil over springs. Torque arms with 4 1/2″ springs O.K.
Optional. Must have neutral and working forward and reverse. Must be able to go forward and backward with engine running. NO in/out boxes. Bert, Brinn or automatic allowed.
S. ENGINE LOCATION
Rear of engine (bellhousing flange) must be mounted 72 inches forward from the center line of rear axle. Engine offset must be kept within two inches of centerline of front crossmember with engine level. Eleven-inch height minimum from ground to front center of crankshaft.
T. TIRES AND WHEELS
HOOSIER A40 ONLY Burn-off period of 6 racing events for Goodyear D2950 or D2951 tires.
NO GRINDING OR REMOVING OF FACTORY MARKINGS.
SIPING of tires will be allowed. NO GROOVING ALLOWED.
Eight-inch steel wheels only. Steel bead lock on right rear only.
No tire softeners. No soaking of tires. No preheating of tires. No chemicals of any type which alter softness of rubber allowed on or inside tire except oxygen or nitrogen. If found, tires will be confiscated, driver will receive a minimum of $500 fine, loss of all points accrued to that date and/or possible suspension. This could turn into a EPC problem if it continues.
No snow chains.
U. SPOILERS: 8” SPOILERS ALLOWED. Side braces 18” maximum length X 8” high. 1” fins on each side of nosepiece allowed. NO spoilers, wings, tunnels or aerodynamic enhancing devices allowed on car except on rear deck or nose piece.
GM Crate Motor cars may run a ten (10) inch spoiler.
V. FRONT SUSPENSION
All components must be steel and in stock location. Rubber, nylon or steel lower A-Frame bushing only. All lower A-Frame mounts and bolt holes on frame must be in stock location. Tube type upper A-Frames allowed, can be moved, cross shaft may be aluminum.
Lower A-Frames stock or square tube manufactured replacements. Square tube replacement a-frames must have same measurements between bushings and ball joints as stock and should measure the same on both sides.
All bumpers must be rounded and turned back towards frame. NO Rough or jagged ends allowed.
Stock steering box only. Tie rods optional.
#112535 Schoenfeld Mandatory.
98 decibel nose level per car maximum measured at trackside. All muffler must remain on vehicle and be in working condition throughout race.
No aluminum driveshaft. Carbon fiber driveshaft allowed. No titanium driveshaft.
AA. Body Measurements:
1. All roofs must be full size. The roof may not be mounted more than 12″(twelve inches) behind the rear axle. Wings, roof spoilers or
aerodynamic ground effects of any kind will not be permitted.
Front to back minimum of 41 inches, maximum of 56″.
Side to side minimum of 44″, maximum of 50″
All flat type roofs will be allowed a maximum one (1) inch difference in height between front and rear of roof.
All curved type roofs will be allowed a maximum of five (5) inches in the front and two (2) inches in the rear. The break
(or peak) of the roof must be within six (6) inches of center of roof.
Wedge roofs or dished roofs will not be allowed.
The rear roof supports may not extend past the front side of rear upright of the roll cage on either side.
Both sides of car minimum of twelve (12) inches clearance between top of door and bottom edge of roof. Maximum of
eighteen (18) inches.
2. Overall minimum height at peak of roof is forty-two (42) inches from ground. Maximum of fifty-two (52) inches.
3. Rear deck minimum height is twenty-eight (28) inches. Maximum of thirty-eight (38) inches from ground.
4. Front and rear bumper minimum height is sixteen (16) inches. Maximum of twenty (20) inches from ground.
5. Front bumper maximum of forty-two (42) inches from center of lower ball joint.
NO NOSE PIECES STICKING OUT FARTHER THAN FRONT OF BUMPER OR WIDER THAN FRAME HORNS.
Must have a minimum six (6) inch ground clearance.
6. Rear bumper maximum of fifty-one (51) inches from center of rear axle.
7. Doors must be mounted a maximum of seventy-two inches from center of rear axle. Top of the doors must remain in line with rear engine
plate. The bottom
of the doors may extend a maximum of eight(8) inches forward of the rear engine plate.
8. Rear quarter panels minimum of thirty-four (34) inches from rear axle to rear top of deck. Maximum of forty-eight (48) inches.
9. Wheel base minimum of one hundred eight (108), maximum of one hundred twelve (112) inches.
10. Maximum body width at the bodies widest point will be sixty-eight (68) inches.
11. Maximum rear width of car must of car must be sixty-seven(67) inches at the widest point. Minimum of fifty-three(53) inches.
12. Minimum ground clearance will be four(4) inches.
13. The sides of the motor compartments must remain open. A five(5) inch drop on either side of the hood will be allowed. The firewall on
driver’s side must
meet up with the front of door. NO tunnels behind doors allowed. No aerodynamic devices allowed in, under or on car except rear
14. NO side fins and/or flanges of any kind along the length of the entire car (hood, front, nose, roof and/or rear quarter panels) will be
Maximum one(1) inch fins along both sides of nose piece will be allowed.
15. On the left side, the rear of the door may flare out six(6) inches for tire clearance. The bottom of the flare must be curved and rounded,
not pointed or sharp in any fashion.
This flare should still fall within the maximum body width of sixty-eight(68) inches.
16. Maximum rear spoiler width is sixty-seven(67) inches.
Maximum rear spoiler height is eight(8) inches from rear deck for East Bay Rule Motors. Side braces maximum two(2) inches in front
and eight(8) inches in rear
Maximum rear spoiler height is ten(10) inches from rear deck for all GM Crate Motors. Side braces maximum three(3) inches in front
and ten(10) in rear.
Maximum length of side braces is twelve inches for both spoilers.
17. The drivers compartment must be sealed from the engine and the race track. The rear bubble of the hood should be closed and sealed
from the driver.
18. The maximum slope/rake of the interior sheet metal “shelf” from front-to-rear is four(4) inches. The interior sheet metal must remain
flat and level from side-to-side.
The top of the interior must be flush with the top of door and quarter panels.
*MODIFIED BODY DIMENSION FOR 2012 here*
RULE BOOK DISCLAIMER
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules. NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM THE PUBLICATION OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS. They are intended entirely as a guide for the conduct of the sport and in no way guarantee against injury or death to any participant, spectator or official.
The race director or Head Tech Inspector shall be empowered to permit reasonable and appropriate deviation from any of the specifications herein or impose any further restrictions that in their opinion do not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. ANO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATIONS OR DEVIATIONS. Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the discretion of the officials and is final and binding.
On occasion when situations arise that are not covered by written rules herein, special rulings may be put into effect by the track officials. Once such rulings are acted upon, they may become an act of policy and will be added to the existing rules of procedures.
The Management of East Bay Raceway Park