East Bay Sprints
2010 East Bay Sprints / Top Gun Sprints
East Bay utilizes the Top Gun Sprint Rules found here:
EAST BAY SPRINTS
The 2011 East Bay Limited Sprints will run under the 2011 Top Gun Sprint Car Series rules with the exception of the track tire rule.
April 2, 2011 – Tampa, FL
2011 Rule Addendum for East Bay Sprints
This addendum is to clarify the Safety Harness rule.
The SFI specification 16.1 allows the use of 2″ shoulder harness.
The following will replace rule #7 under Roll Cage and Restraints.
The Driver Restraint assembly must conform to the SFI 16.1 specificatoin and be no older than three years of manufactures date on harness.
3″ wide lap belts and either 2″ or 3″ wide shoulder harness will be allowed.
2011 EAST BAY TIRE RULE
The first 4 events, any 2010 legal tire will be allowed to be used up.
The new Goodyears will also be allowed.
After 4 events have been completed, it is mandatory for all cars to be on:
Right Rear–Goodyear G300
Left Rear—Goodyear G200
This will be for all East Bay Sprint events.
The Top Gun Sprint events will be run under the Top Gun Sprint Tire Rule.
IV. TECHNICAL RULES
A. BODY AND FRAME
1. Must be sprint car design: no roadsters or super modified.
2. Special racing types only: Aluminum or titanium frames and roll cages are NOT allowed. No bolt-on roll cages.
3. Approved Sprint car tail and tank only. Approved fuel bladder mandatory.
A. All cars must have effective hood latches and must be securely fastened at all times during competition.
5. Bumpers and Nerf Bars
a. Rear bumper and Nerf Bars are required. Must be of steel tubing and not exceed 1” O.D. Nerf bars may not extend outside tires.
b. Front bumper is required. Steel or aluminum 1″ O.D tubing.
c. Front bumper may not extend more the 12 inches in front of the front tires
6. Seats must be securely attached to the frame. Aluminum seats only.
7. Wheel base must be a minimum of 83″ up to a maximum of 90” center to center of the hubs.
8. No hollow, tubular or drilled bolts allowed.
9. No offset motors will be allowed, engine must be directly in front of driver. Driver must straddle drive-line.
11. Suspension system.
a. No Independent suspension systems, front or rear will be allowed. Front axle must be single tube with kingpin bosses securely welded at each end as ordered from any sprint car supplier or manufacturer.(Note: may be straight or dropped axle but must remain one piece.
12. Maximum amount of offset for right rear wheel is forty three inches (43”) Note: This measurement is to the outermost part of the wheel and not the sidewall of the tire.
13. No electronic traction control devices are allowed. No on-board computers or any other computer adjustable devices are allowed.
14. Rock Guard in front of driver mandatory.
15. No aluminum chassis. No titanium front or rear axles.
B. ROLL CAGES AND RESTRAINTS
1. Main members of the roll bar should be constructed with a minimum of 1 3/8″ O.D.X.095″ wall 4130 chrome-moly tubing.
1. Main members of the roll bar must be braced to the front or rear with material having a minimum of the same wall thickness as the main members with at least 7/8″ diameter.
a. It is recommended that rear bracing be used.
b. It is recommended that bracing be the same diameter as the main members.
3. Braces must be attached to the main members at a point within six (6) inches from the top of the rear transverse member as close to the top as possible.
4. Roll Cage must extend two (2) inches above the top of driver’s helmet when sitting in an upright position. Roll cage padding is recommended.
5. Headrest with two (2) inches of resilient material must be mounted behind the drivers head and firmly supported.
6. Seat Belts
a. Five-point safety harness not older than three years of manufacturers date on harness. Worn appearing belts can be rejected by technical inspector.
b. Belts must be equipped with a metal quick release buckle.
c. Belts must come through the seat at the bottom of each side, therefore wrapping and holding the greatest possible area of the pelvic region of the body.
d. Anti-submarine (crotch) seat belts are required.
7. Shoulder harness must be a minimum of double over the shoulder military type of any approved racing harness. Shoulder harness must be a minimum of three (3) inches wide with a minimum tensile strength of 3,000 pounds. Belts must be no older than three (3) years of manufactures date on harness.
8. Cage nets are required for safety on the right side of car.
1. East Bay / Carburetor Engine Package
NO FUEL INJECTION TO BE ALLOWED
1. Small block American make V-8 cast iron engines only are permitted.
2. The maximum cube inch displacement allowed is 363 for Chevrolet, 365 for Ford, 365 for Mopar.
3. Any stock or aftermarket intakes allowed. NO porting or polishing of intake inside or out. Matching of ports within ½” is allowed. NO tolerance.
4 A. Must use only one Holley 4150 HP Series 750 CFM carburetor. MUST PASS TGSS gauges. No porting or polishing. Must have four butterflies. No throttle bodies allowed.
a. Jets and power valves may be changed.
b. Billet metering blocks allowed.
c. NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS TO INCREASE
AIR OR FUEL FLOW.
d. Only stock type squinters allowed.
e. The maximum venturi opening is 1.384 inches.
f. The maximum throttle bore 1.691 inches.
g. The minimum size of the throttle shaft & plate is .167 inches.
h. NO DEMON OR PREDATOR STYLE
4 B. Must use only one Holley #4412- style carburetor. MUST PASS TGSS gauges. No porting or polishing. Must have two butterflies.
No throttle bodies allowed.
Modifications allowed: a. Choke plate may be removed.
b. Jets and power valves may be changed.
c. Billet metering blocks allowed.
d. NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS TO INCREASE AIR OF FUEL FLOW.
e. Only straight type squirters allowed.
f. Screws in butterflies MUST extend a minimum of .060” thru bar (thread side)
g. The maximum venturi opening is 1-7/16 inches.
h. NO DEMON OR PREDATOR STYLE
Modifications to the carburetor or any of its components or substitution of other than Holley parts without prior written permission from TGSS officials will cause the vehicle to be declared illegal.
Any Aftermarket STEEL STOCK CONFIGURATION head allowed.
Porting, Polishing or grinding is NOT permitted.
Matching of ports within ½” of the surface is allowed.
Grinding within ½” of the valve seats is allowed.
NO TITANNIUM VALVES ALLOWED.
Valve springs are optional.
Rocker Arms are optional.
NO ALUMINNUM HEADS ALLOWED ON EAST BAY MOTORS.
6. Only flat tappet camshafts allowed.
7. No roller camshafts or mushroom tappet cams are permitted.
8. No roller lifters or mushroom lifters allowed.
9. Cam timing gears are optional.
10. Re-indexing of crank shaft is not permitted. Strokers or destrokers are not allowed. Only 3.48” stroke cranks allowed.
11. Any stock or aftermarket Crankshaft allowed (Cast or Steel). Minimum weight is 48 lbs. (no tolerance)
12. No lightweight billet cranks allowed
13. Polishing, clearance and balancing of internal engine parts is permitted. Knife edge cranks are not permitted.
14. No dry sump oil pumps allowed. (Wet sump systems only.)
15. Manual fuel pumps or optional belt driven pumps only.
16. All engines must P& G legal within 15 minutes of the end of the racing event as per race track protest rules.
17. Any pistons are legal.
18. Any length STEEL rods are legal. Any manufacturer allowed.
19. Any alteration or grinding of the manufacturers name or ID on crank is not permitted.
20. Leaman-type front covers are not permitted.
21. Belt driven, aluminum water pumps or cast iron pumps only.
22. Any aftermarket racing oil pan allowed.
23. All oil pans must a 1” inspection plug; pans without plug will be subject to pan removal at anytime.
2. FSCA / Fuel Injector Engine Package
2.1 Engine, V-8 Chevrolet Only.
2.1.1 Engines are limited to 364 cubic inches maximum and must run on methanol.
No performance or oxygenating additives.
No Nitrous, No Nitro methane, or Propylene Oxide.
No titanium parts in or on the engine; except for valve spring retainers.
220.127.116.11 All engines used in competition must be able to be used in a conventional passenger car without alteration.
Motor mounts cannot be removed or altered.
Purchasing of after market blocks allowed; steel only.
No milling of exterior of block allowed.
18.104.22.168 Solid or roller camshaft may be used with a maximum valve lift of .550″ in gross lift at the retainer with lash.
22.214.171.124 Crankshaft can be steel or cast iron with a minimum weight of 48 pounds.
Oil pan must contain a 2″ inspection hole to allow viewable access of rods and crankshaft. If inspection hole is not present, oil pan must be removed for inspection.
126.96.36.199 Flat top pistons with valve reliefs must be used and cannot protrude from cylinder bore or deck of block.
188.8.131.52 Oil systems must be wet sump. No dry sump systems.
184.108.40.206 Maximum size of injector is 2 3/16″. Larger injectors are allowed provided the proper restrictors are used limiting it to 2 3/16″ with at least 3″ in length.
220.127.116.11 Any intake manifold gasket may be used.
18.104.22.168 No plenum type injectors. Must be vertical tube.
22.214.171.124 No electronic injection.
2.1.4 Spec Comp World Product Head #43600.
126.96.36.199 Must retain all original dimensions and configurations including: valves, valve springs, retainers, stems, and guides.
Valves: intake 1.94″, exhaust 1.50″
Valve springs: 1.25″ maximum diameter
188.8.131.52 The only work allowed is the reseating of the valves.
No top cuts that extend into the chamber.
No under the seat relief cuts.
No work that enlarges the delivered throat size.
No bowl changes.
184.108.40.206 No machining, milling, resurfacing, grinding, polishing, welding, acid work, caustic work, shotpeening, glass beading, coating, or any other process that will alter the machined surfaces or the natural sand cast finish.
220.127.116.11 Roller Rockers are allowed; Stud mount type only. No shaft systems.
1. Four Barrel Carburetor cars: Car and Driver after the race 1650 lbs.
2. Two Barrel Carburetor cars: Car and Driver after the race 1600 lbs.
3. Injector cars: Car and Driver after the race 1525lbs.
4. No allowance for lost parts. No tolerance.
5. No Rotating Titanium parts allowed.
B. FUEL AND AIR SYSTEMS
1. Fuel must be methanol only with no additives. No nitrous oxide.
2. Car must have fuel shut-off that clearly indicates “OFF”.
3. All fuel is subject to testing at any time. Any fuel that does not conform to the TGSS standards, as administered at the track, will be considered illegal.
4. Any device(s) or material(s) that artificially reduces the temperature of the fuel is prohibited.
5. No plenum type injector system allowed. One injector and butterfly per cylinder is required. Injectors with sleeves to reduce intake volume will be allowed.
7. As a result of manufacturing processes, some injector stacks may be slightly larger. A tolerance of .005″ will be permitted on all stacks.
8. Reducing sleeves a minimum of three (3) inches in length must be installed in the stacks above the butterflies.
9. No relief holes or grooves may be exposed above or below the butterflies on the injectors.
C. WHEELS AND TIRES
1. Any steel or aluminum wheel designed for racing is permitted. Bead locks are optional. Maximum width of right rear wheel is 18 inches, left rear is 15 inches and fronts are 10 inches.
2. All tires must be on the TGSS approved tire listing.
Left Rear: Any tire that punches 48 or harder
Right Rear: 104/17-15 DT3 Hoosier ONLY
3 If at any time the TGSS makes a change in the tire rule, a rules update will be provided to all participants.
4 Illegal tires will result in disqualification for that event.
1. TOP WING
a. Use of the top wing shall be mandatory for all races.
b. Top wing may not exceed twenty-five (25) square feet with a maximum width of 60 inches.
c. Side boards maximum size, 72 inches long and 30 inches tall.
d. The deepest point allowed in the top surface of the wing will be
2 .5 inches
e. Center foil shall be fully sheathed in aluminum. Vent holes are strictly prohibited.
f. Wing placement shall not exceed the outer edge of the rear wheels.
g. No driver adjustable wings.
h. 1” wicker bill allowed.
2. NOSE WINGS
a. Allowed but not mandatory.
b. Maximum of six (6) square feet with a maximum width of 36 inches by 24 inches in length.
c. Side boards maximum size 12 inches tall and 26 inches long.
d. Must remain at least 1 inch behind the front edge of the front bumper.
E. 1” wicker bill allowed
1. All open yoke drive lines must have a scatter shield which must be approved by safety inspector or director of competition.
2. Safety loops or restraints are mandatory and must be approved.
3. All drive lines must be broken in the coupler or rear slider fully enclosed and contains no more than one U-Joint. No torque arm drive lines allowed.
1. Steering system must be engineered and assembled in accordance with sound engineering principles.
2. Approved removable type steering wheel disconnect only. No plastic parts allowed.
3 Drag link safety strap mandatory.
1. Car must have operable front and rear brakes
2. Titanium, carbon or carbon composite brake rotors and/or components are not allowed.
All cars are required to have a floorboard extending from the engine plate to a point six inches past the leading edge of the seat.
Effective fire wall must be installed between engine compartment and cockpit.
1. Mandatory # 112535 Schoenfeld mufflers
All cars must meet decibel requirements of the individual speedways. Loss of muffler will result in disqualification.
1. Cockpit adjustable shocks are not allowed.
1. All drivers are required to wear a SNELL approved Helmet and SFI approved fire suit, gloves and shoes.
2. TGSS strongly recommends all drivers wear a SFI -38.1 Head and Neck Restraint device. (In 2012 it will be required that all drivers wear a SFI -38.1 rated Head and Neck Restraint).
3. Arm restraints are mandatory.
4. When a car is started in the pit area, it is required that the driver wear his or her driving suit, seat belt, harness, and helmet properly fastened.