2012 Go-Kart Rules
EAST BAY RACEWAY PARK
2012 GO-KART RULES
EAST BAY RACEWAY PARK would like to welcome dirt kart racers to our go-kart track. It has been a pleasure to bring this facility to life and change it to make it better for everyone. We hope that everyone enjoys the racing and friendships that are here at East Bay Raceway Park. We strive to provide a safe, fun and family friendly racing atmosphere where every family member has an enjoyable experience. We thank you for your commitments to help us to make this work.
Racing will be on alternate Fridays, with the next scheduled Friday being the rain date. We will run double features on the next scheduled race night that weather permits.
Gates will open at 4:30pm. Pill draw will be from 4:30 to 6:30, after 6:30 kart will go to rear for heat race. Tech inspections will begin at 5:30PM (all karts must have inspection sticker before entering race track for practice). Practice 6:00-7:00pm. MANDATORY DRIVERS MEETING 7:15pm. Racing begins promptly at 7:30 (weather permitting).
Spectators and participants $10.00 per person.
$20.00 kart entry fee per class.
Families (i.e. Dad, Mom, brothers or sisters, not for friends, cousins or distant relatives) with more than 2 entries will be charged $10.00 per class after 2nd entry. 1 kart=$20.00
Drivers will be allowed to race in multiple classes, as long as the entry fees have been paid for each class.
All minor drivers must have completed information sheet, waiver release form and copy of birth certificate on file prior to receiving points.
Numbers can be registered on a first come, first served basis for a yearly fee of $5.00 per kart per class. Duplicate numbers will not be allowed. All numbers not reserved will be assigned on a first come, first served basis nightly.
In the event of a rain-out, your armbands will be used as your rain check.
Rain checks are only good for the next two kart racing events.
1. All drivers are required to wear a full face helmet (SNELL 2000 or newer, K98 and Jr. Helmets only), a racing or track approved jacket or race suit, closed toe shoes, racing gloves and a neck brace while driving. All of these items must remain in working order while on race track (i.e. if neck brace comes off you will be black flagged). All helmets must have a CLEAR VISOR and must remain in the down (closed) position while on track during racing conditions. LONG PANTS ONLY!! NO SHORT PANTS ALLOWED
2. All starts will be off turn 4 with front row side by side. All restarts will be single file, in line off turn four at a point determined by track officials prior to start of race. No weaving allowed on caution laps. Penalty for jumping restarts will be two positions for each kart passed. Leader sets pace and everyone else is expected to keep his pace without bumping and pushing going into turn 3. Repeat offenses after 1 warning may result in being put to rear of field for restart.
3. Once a kart leaves track and enters pits, it cannot return to race track for that event.
4. If engine stalls on track, track workers (if possible) will give two (2) pulls to attempt to start. If the engine does not start, you will go to the pits. NO WORKING ON KART WHILE ON THE TRACK.
5. RED FLAG- stop as quickly and safely as possible. No work can be done on karts during red flag. Track officials will be allowed to pull damaged kart bodies off while under red flag conditions (when possible).
6. After completion of event, ALL karts must proceed directly to scales. All karts must stop engines and then proceed onto scales. Failing to go over scales will result in a disqualification for that event. NO DRIVING ONTO SCALES. If you drive all the way onto scale, you will be subject to disqualification. Driver only is to push kart onto scale. Only Rookie, Novice and all Champ kart classes will be allowed 1 person to help them get kart onto scale. NO ONE ELSE NEEDS TO ENTER THE SCALE LINE AREA OR TECH AREA. You can assist them after kart has passed scale. Spectators entering the scale line area or tech area will subject kart to disqualification or possible ejection.
7. ONLY DRIVER + ONE PERSON IS ALLOWED TO BE IN TECH AREA UNLESS APPROVED BY HEAD TECH MAN.
8. ALL LEAD MUST BE PAINTED WHITE WITH KART NUMBER PERMANENTLY MARKED ON IT. Minimum bolt size for lead is 5/16” with double nut or safety wire. Any lead weighing over 7 pounds must be secured with 2 5/16” bolts with double nuts or safety wire.
9. Any racer, whether minor or adult, is responsible for the conduct of their pit crew at all times. Officials have the right to suspend crew members and /or drivers at their discretion. FOUL LANGUAGE AND DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR BY ANY ONE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. (So children, please be sure to teach your parents and crew how to be good sports and we will all have a great time.)
10. NO karts will be allowed to be driven in the pits. Engines will be started in the grid area.
11. NO kart maintenance/repair allowed on the track!! Infield or pit area only.
12. Any driver who fails to drive in a safe manner will be subject to being “BLACK FLAGGED” off the track. Failure to obey the black flag could result in possible 1 race suspension at the discretion of track officials.
13. NUMBERS: All karts must have numbers on all four (4) sides of the kart. Minimum 6” numbers. All numbers must be clearly visible by scorers and must be in sharp contrasting colors. NO DUCT TAPE, BLACK TAPE OR REFLECTIVE NUMBERS. Black on white or white on black preferred. Scoring officials have final approval on all numbers. If they ask you to change them, you will be required to do so.
14. NO RADIOS! NO REAR VIEW MIRRORS!
15. ALL USED OIL MUST BE PUT IN PROPER DRUMS LOCATED IN PITS. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!
16. NO OPEN FLAMES ALLOWED IN PIT AREA. ALL TRAILERS ENTERING PIT
AREA MUST HAVE AT LEAST 1(ONE) UP TO DATE ABC FIRE EXTINGUISHER
LOCATED AT REAR ENTRANCE OF TRAILER.
17. All kart stands/carriers must be removed from grid area and taken to tech side of pit area immediately following kart leaving grid. Failure to properly relocate stand/carrier may result in kart being put to rear of field.
18. Replacement drivers: If you have a qualified kart and decide to change drivers or require a replacement driver, a $5.00 fee must be paid to registration. In this event, replacement driver will start race in the rear of lineup. Points will remain with original driver.
19. SPECTATORS: Standing at fence in front of grandstands or restricted areas will not be tolerated. You will be subject to ejection if you refuse to find somewhere to spectate.
EAST BAY RACEWAY PARK has adopted the WKA rule book with the following exceptions or additions.
1. David Carlbert is the head tech inspector and has binding and final say on all technical questions at East Bay Raceway Park.
2. All karts must be safety inspected prior to going onto track for hot laps or heat race. NO EXCEPTIONS!! Any kart not having safety sticker after heat race will start feature from rear of field.
3. Open tire rule will be in effect until further notice.
4. All karts must have full bodies.
5. All Jr. Class karts must have full loop bumpers. All bumpers must stay in place and intact throughout race. Side panels coming loose will be tolerated unless deemed unsafe for anyone on track. The distance from the ground to the lower bar on the rear of the kart must be no greater than seven (7) inches.
6. NO kart will be allowed to run without firmly secured chambers or mufflers. RLV only.
7. ½” gear clearance rule will be strictly enforced. Any one not in compliance will receive no points for that racing event.
8. All karts in all classes must have operational clutches.
9. RESTRICTOR PLATES: They are required to be in place for all practices and races. They may be inspected at any time (discretion of tech man). If requested, you will be obligated to produce plate within 10 minutes of request. Failure to do so may result in loss of points or starting positions.
10. LOSS OF AIR FILTER: The loss of BOTH air filter and adapter, you are legal.
If you lose only air filter, you will be declared illegal and be disqualified.
11. All carburetors should be WKA legal. Must pass all go or no-go gauges. The “Finger
Check” of the horn area will no longer be enforced. No excess altering or machining of
the carburetor bowl will be allowed.
12. East Bay Raceway Park reserves the right to alter weight or restrictor plates to keep all
classes fairly competitive.
In order to reward karts that run on a regular basis, EAST BAY RACEWAY PARK has revised the following points system:
The winner of each class will receive a maximum of 30 points. Each sequential position then will drop two (2) points per position. The minimum points you will receive for each appearance will be 2 points. The kart count no longer has a bearing on points awarded.
In the event of drivers point ties, the tie will be settled by most feature wins, if same, continue positions until tie is broken.
ONLY make-up race events will be allowed to be dropped in the year‘s final point’s calculations. No regularly scheduled event will be allowed to be dropped.
DISQUALIFICATIONS DROPPED: ANY CONDUCT RELATED DQ CAN NOT BE DROPPED. Including crew members. Drivers having misconduct incidences may be required to work as a corner worker in between their races. This can be used the following event if the misconduct happens in the feature event.
DQW = disqualification for weight, allowed to drop.
DQC = disqualification for conduct, NO drop allowed.
DQT = disqualification for technical or protest, NO drop allowed.
NO karter shall move to a different class than they are registered for unless approved by EAST BAY RACEWAY PARK. If it is a mandatory move up to another class, the transferee will be awarded points equivalent to last place (with equal participation weeks) minus 10 points.
If karter should decide to change classes, they will be allowed to change classes and take points with them only in the first 3 events. If they choose to change classes after the 3rd event, they will not be allowed to take their accumulated points with them to the new class.
1. Any protest must be filed in writing with the head tech inspector no later than five minutes after completion of event.
2. Protest fee= $50.00 2nd protest of same kart will be $75.00.
3. The protestor will be required to tear down first. The protested kart will be torn down regardless of the outcome of the first tear down. Both karts involved must remain impounded by tech official until tear downs are completed.
4. EAST BAY RACEWAY PARK reserves the right to tear down any kart at any time or inspect any restrictor plate at any time.
5. The driver of an illegal kart will lose his/her points for that race day plus 100 points for the first offense. A second offense will result in a loss of points for that day plus additional 100 points and driver may be subject to suspension for one full racing event.
6. Refusal to tear down will result in a two (2) race suspension.
EAST BAY RACEWAY PARK reserves the right to amend any rule at their discretion.
AGE CLASS WEIGHT
5-10 ROOKIE (14/60 GEAR RULE)* 225
(Novice Clone) Red Plate .375 Muffler plug installed
5-8 JR. SPORTSMAN CHAMP 1 BSP/ CLONE 285
GREEN PLATE .425 (14/60 GEAR RULE)
5-10 NOVICE* /JR. SPORTSMAN I 265
(14/60 GEAR RULE) BSP/ CLONE
GREEN Plate .375 Briggs Purple Plate 250lbs.
8-12 JR. SPORTSMAN CHAMP 2 315
BLUE PLATE .550
8-12 JR. SPORTSMAN 2 285
PURPLE PLATE .500
12-15 JR. SPORTSMAN 3 320
BLUE PLATE .550
12-15 JR. SPORTSMAN CHAMP 3 355
BSP BLUE PLATE .550
ANIMAL BLACK PLATE
15-UP SR. CHAMP MIX 425
BP / ANIMAL
15-UP BOX STOCK LIGHT 325
BSP / CLONE
15-UP BOX STOCK MEDIUM 350
BSP / CLONE
15-UP PRO BOX STOCK HEAVY 375
BSP / CLONE
15-UP BP STOCK MEDIUM 350
15-UP BOX STOCK HEAVY 375
BSP / CLONE
15-UP BP STOCK HEAVY 375
15-UP LIMITED MODIFIED 360/400
FH / ANIMAL / BP
15-UP YAMAHA STOCK OR STOCK APPEARING 360/390
Novice class- if participant has 2 feature wins, driver must move up to JR. Sportsman 2 if participant is 8 years or older.
NOTICE: FLAT HEAD MOTORS MAY RUN IN ALL CLASSES AND WILL RECEIVE
A 15 POUND WEIGHT BREAK.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE WEIGHT AND/OR RESTRICTOR PLATES
TO ASSURE EQUAL COMPETITION WITHIN CLASSES.
All ages are determined as of January 1 of the current year and remain that age until December 31 of the current year.
Classes may be combined in the event of low kart count.
Heat races will be 8 laps for 10-12 karts.
9 karts or less will be 6 laps.
13 or more will be 2 heats of 6 laps each.
Features will be 12 or 15 laps depending on kart count.
Weather permitting, a full night of racing will consist of 1 practice, 1 heat and 1 feature for each class. In the event of inclement weather, it may be cut to features only.
All classes will have a 15 minute time limit on features.
Trophies will be awarded as follows:
2 to 3 karts—1 trophy
4 to 6 karts—2 trophies
7 to 11 karts—3 trophies
12 or more—5 trophies
Rookie class is intended to allow a beginner to become familiar with the sport of Karting and gain seat time in a racing environment. Rookie class shall receive “participant trophies” for all entries that participate in the feature race. Points will not be awarded during the season for this class. One crew member will be allowed to go to the designated infield area during races.
IT IS MANDATORY FOR ALL KARTS TO PASS SAFETY INSPECTION BEFORE GOING ONTO TRACK FOR PRACTICE OR RACE.
Failure to be inspected prior to practice or race will result in possible penalties or disqualification.
Listed here are some guidelines for safety issues regarding Kart racing. These items will be inspected during safety tech before the kart will be allowed to go onto the track for practice or racing.
All steering components must be safety wired or cotter pinned. This includes spindles, tie rod end bolts, tie rod to steering bolts, steering wheel to steering hub bolts (3 bolts) and steering shaft nut. No quick connect steering couplings allowed except in Champ Karts. On Champ Karts, the 3 bolts connecting the steering wheel to quick connect hub must be safety wired.
Brakes: All bolts fastening the master cylinder and calipers must be safety wired. Brakes must be in good working condition.
Helmet: Must be Snell 2000 or later. K98 and Jr. Helmets will be allowed at tech inspector’s discretion.
Header to block bolts must be safety wired. Muffler must not to extend past rear bumper. Snap rings required on axle ends.
Weight: Must have double nuts or safety wired or cotter pinned. All kart weights must be painted white with the kart’s number on it. NO weight allowed on nerf bar or bumpers except inside the nose.
These are just some of the safety rules that must be followed and will be inspected at safety tech each race. Consult the 2009 WKA tech manual for a detailed explanation of all safety issues or check with Safety tech officials.